Manchester Central to host Open House event
Manchester Central is set host an 'Open House' event on 21 July.
As well as showcasing the history of the site, visitors can tour the venue, view its photo exhibition and benefit from the venue’s pop-up shared workspace for the day.
Visitors will also be able to take part in various activities including mindfulness and wellbeing sessions, gain advice and insights on innovation in business with Elevate, and listen to panel events with the Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce.
Speakers will include Chris Fletcher, policy and campaigns director at the Chamber, Manchester Central’s CEO Shaun Hinds, and Sacha Lord, the Night Time Economy adviser for Greater Manchester.
Top 10 moments
In celebration of the event, Manchester Central has listed its favourite moments over the past four decades.
1. Marking the end of the train station era, the last train departs the now Central Hall, bound for Warrington (May 1969)
2. The very first business exhibition is held at the venue – Enterprise North West (March 1986)
3. Factory Records host its ‘Festival of the Tenth Summer’ celebrating the 10th anniversary of punk in the city (July 1986)
4. The venue is chosen as the 2002 Commonwealth Games venue for gymnastics, weightlifting, judo and wrestling (2002)
5. Hosting a community celebration for the Queen to mark her Diamond Jubilee (June 2012)
6. The venue hosts the The X Factor Final for 10,000 fans its first time out of London (December 2012)
7. ITV’s Ninja Warrior UK course comes to life for the first time in Central Hall (April 2015)
8. Celebrating 10 years since becoming Manchester Central (September 2017)
9. Opening its doors to Manchester International Festival and celebrating the return of events (June 2021)
10. Becoming a NHS Nightingale Hospital to support with Covid-19 (April 2020)
Hinds said: “There have been so many globally important connections, memorable performances and historic deals that have taken place at this site since it opened as an events venue back in the ‘80s, and we are very proud to relive these as part of our Open House event."