PCMA Announces 2019 Global Business Events Executive of the Year
PCMA presented its 2019 Global Business Events Executive of the Year award to Carola van der Hoeff, chief operating officer and congress director at International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP). The annual award was presented during the IMEX Gala Dinner in Frankfurt on 22 May.
Van der Hoeff was recognised for her extensive experience and impact in the association and conference management industry as a professional conference organizer and association executive.
“When I think of how the PCMA Global Business Events Executive of the Year recognizes and celebrates not only excellence as a professional, but also advancement and education of the industry, Carola's dedication to improving global economic and social progress immediately comes to mind,” said Sherrif Karamat, CAE, president and CEO of PCMA.
“Her work in the Netherlands and around the world personifies passion, dedication and vision.”
Van der Hoeff has been lauded by her peers for her eagerness to learn, her keen negotiation skills and her ability to develop and implement key business strategies. As COO and congress director at FIP, the global federation gathering 140 national associations of pharmacists and pharmaceutical scientists, van der Hoeff is responsible for overseeing the organization's daily operations and enhancing internal processes to help the non-profit grow and fulfil its mission.
She is a key member of the AC (Associations Conference) Forum, a European networking platform aimed at advancing association leadership and congress management, and president of the Netherlands-based Voorfinancierings & Garantiefonds, an incentive fund offering financial security to organizers of international conferences of at least two days.
Before joining FIP, van der Hoeff spent more than 16 years as a professional congress organizer. She earned her International Business degree from the Higher School of Economics in Amsterdam.
PCMA has presented the Global Business Events Executive of the Year award annually at IMEX Frankfurt since 2012. Previous recipients are:
- Ben Goedegebuure, global general manager, EMEA, for Maritz Global Events
- Roberta A. Kravitz, executive director, International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine
- Janet Tan-Collis, Chief Executive, East West Planners Pte Ltd.
- Pieter Swart CMP, CMM, managing director, Conference Consultancy South Africa (PTY)
- Phelps R. Hope, CMP, vice president, meetings and expositions, Kellen Meetings
- David L. Williams, CMP, executive director, International Association for Energy Economics
- Ping He, director global sourcing and partner relations, Experient