The Museum of London Docklands in Canary Wharf has updated its corporate event hire offering by refurbishing its former theatre into a multipurpose event space.
The Wilberforce Room, once a tiered theatre with fixed seating, has been completely transformed into a new space that can accommodate a much wider range of event set-ups. By removing the seats and levelling out the floor, the room can now host a boardroom set-up for up to 40 people, cabaret style for 180 people, a seated dinner for around 240 people, theatre style for 270 people and receptions for up to 350 people.
Housed in a 19th century sugar warehouse, the Museum of London Docklands tells the story of London’s maritime and trading history from the 1600s to the redevelopment of Canary Wharf. The Grade I listed building, where contemporary fittings mingle with Georgian columns and floors, provides a uniquely historical setting in the otherwise highly modern business district.
In addition to the recently refurbished Wilberforce Room, named after William Wilberforce, one of the key figures involved in passing the Abolition of Slavery Act, the museum has a number of exceptional spaces which are all steeped in the history of the docks:
- The Muscovado Hall – situated in the museum’s impressive entrance, the hall boasts beautiful original brickwork and pine pillars and can hold a reception of up to 400 people.
- The Quayside Room – bare brick walls and direct views of West India Quay imbue the space with distinct character and atmosphere. The room can hold a reception of up to 100 people.
- The Boardroom – ideal for smaller dinners for up to 16 people, its peaceful location on the first floor offers a charming choice for more intimate events.
- Sailortown – a reconstructed Victorian street where guests can experience the vivid atmosphere of winding narrow streets and see how dock workers used to live. There is the option to add actors to set the scene and mingle with guests.
- The galleries – the museum has six galleries which are ideal for private evening drinks receptions or intimate dinner gatherings. There is also the opportunity to book our newly expanded Muscovado Terrace. Situated at the front of the building overlooking the quayside this area is perfect for summer barbeques or a drinks reception in the sun. This is a multipurpose space for up to 150 people. If you book an event there is also the opportunity to have a tour of our latest exhibition, Tunnel: The Archaeology of Crossrail, which runs until 3 September 2017.
The exhibition explores 8,000 years of human history through 500 fascinating finds unearthed by the Crossrail project.