bmi regional has returned to Birmingham with the launch of its new flight service from Birmingham Airport to Graz, Austria. It is the only direct flight from the UK to Austria’s second city.
The twice-weekly service was welcomed to its new hub at Birmingham Airport by a water arch and was greeted in Graz by a traditional Austrian brass band.
The service is the latest development in bmi regional’s growth strategy to provide connectivity between key regional business destinations in Europe, and will operate on Mondays and Fridays initially. The plan is to expand to four times weekly within a month.
Fares on the route start from just £99 one way.
Graz is Austria’s second largest city, lying on the River Mur. The city was added to the list of UNESCO world heritage sites in 1999, thanks to unique landscapes and attractions, which include:
• Schlossberg and the Clock Tower reachable by funicular railway.
• Projekt Spielberg – Red Bull’s home of motorsports and the venue of Austria’s F1 race, MotoGP and DTM.
• Steirische Weinstrasse: a wine region known as the Austrian Tuscany.
• Thermenregion: a spa area home to nine thermal spas.
• Golf: Graz is home to six 18-hole courses, one a championship course.
• Graz is also a gateway to some of Austria’s best ski resorts, including Schladming and the Dachstein region.
Jochen Schnadt, chief commercial officer for bmi regional said: “With this new connection between Graz and Birmingham, we are continuing to pursue our strategy of developing tailor-made products for business and leisure travel.”
Tom Screen, head of aviation development at Birmingham Airport said: “We’re delighted with the launch of bmi’s Graz route. With Birmingham being the only UK airport offering flights to Graz, we are filling a gap in the market for business and leisure travellers alike to take advantage of a city break in this vibrant destination.”
The route is the first of three new destinations offered by bmi regional from Birmingham Airport. The airline will also be launching routes to Gothenburg and Nuremburg from May 2017.
All fares include complimentary in flight drinks and snacks, 23kg of hold luggage, allocated seating and 30-minute check-ins.