A Yorkshire venue is offering an opportunity to lose some of those extra pounds gained over the festive season and cut your hotel bill into the bargain. Newton House Knaresborough, near Harrogate, has introduced ‘Beat Obesity Breaks’ following its achievement of the Gold level award on North Yorkshire County Council Trading Standards ‘Healthier Choices’ scheme.
Newton House has made a name for its breakfasts, which include healthy food choices and local produce. Owner, Denise Carter, who is also an avid forager and Slow Food enthusiast, personally makes many of the items on her award-winning breakfast menu.
“In North Yorkshire, 67.9% of the adult population is categorised as overweight or obese where the national average is 63.8%. When I heard these statistics it seemed right to partner with North Yorkshire’s campaign to help to combat obesity and its effects on people’s wellbeing, as well as the strain it puts on health budgets,” Carter said, noting that the Beat Obesity Breaks were also available to business visitors. “We hope that guests will leave Newton House in a healthier frame of mind and body” she added.
Beat Obesity Breaks include:
- Weigh-in on arrival
- Healthier dishes with beat obesity ingredients and recipes
- Allocation of second floor room with 40 stairs and no lift
- Small portions
- Fry-ups forbidden and poached eggs instead of fried eggs
- Mandatory morning walk or jog around Knaresborough each day
- Opportunity for ‘work out’ with the housekeeping staff
- Optional dietician consultation
- Departure weigh-in with discounts for guests with weight reductions
Beat Obesity Breaks cost from £36.50 per person per night based on two people sharing a double room and including breakfast and VAT.