Venue operator sees competitive advantage in Green ethos

A consortium of venues has been recognised for its efforts to soften its environmental impact.

EEF Venues – part of EEF Ltd, the manufacturers’ organisation – has gained ISO14001 certification across its three venues: Woodland Grange (Leamington Spa), Engineers’ House (Bristol) and Broadway House (Westminster).

The internationally recognised standard relates to management systems that control the impact a company has on its environment, and covers such issues as minimising waste, the use of raw materials and energy, reducing pollution and improving efficiency.

In 2013, the organisation spend £900,000 on refurbishing its venues. Conference hire at EEF venues contributed £4.9m to EEF in the last financial year, an increase of 12% on the previous year.

David Vaughton, director of venues for EEF Venues, said that the venues’ incremental growth for the period January 2014 to July 2015 (19 months) has been £899,000. He is forecasting £1 million incremental revenue growth for the two-year period of 2014/2015.

He said that 91% of EEF Venues’ revenues are driven around external commercial business, with the remaining 9% coming from servicing the parent body, EEF.

Vaughton said: “The value is that clients will migrate to like-minded organisations who care about the environment and sustainable practices. The majority of the requests we receive for quotations from prospective clients now include a checklist of environmental practices to see if we are in tune with their own CSR ethos. Having ISO14001 accreditation is an important factor in our business growth and on-going success. Our reputation means everything to us and to be known as an ethical player with a strong commitment to sustainable practice is a valuable asset in this highly competitive sector.”

ConferenceNews

Author

ConferenceNews

Conference News resides at the heart of the conference industry examining the issues affecting organisers, venues, destinations and suppliers. Published monthly, Conference News features the latest news, interviews and industry analysis from market influencers.

Up Next

Related Posts

banner