An 18th century stately home has
been devastated by fire.
at the National Trust’s Clandon House, which was used for events hosting up to 200
people, started in the basement before ripping through the building and
spreading to the roof.
80 firefighters worked into the night to bring the flames under control at the
estate near Guildford in Surrey.
and volunteers were safely evacuated.
one wing of the Grade I listed building has been gutted and the
roof has caved in.
National Trust director Helen
Ghosh said: “The most important thing for me is that no one has been hurt
in this awful fire and that everyone is safe.
it has been heartbreaking to witness the terrible damage to this wonderful
mansion, which means so much, to so many people.
will come as a terrible shock and a devastating personal blow to all our
devoted staff and volunteers.
continue to work closely with the fire brigade, who are working hard to bring
the blaze under control. We’d like to thank them again for their efforts.”
Do you have a story for CN? Email: John Keenan