Sejal Pietrzak, Senior Vice President of International at ACTIVE Network, offers best practices to maximise event revenue.
Regardless of whether you’re organising a large corporate event, a small meeting, or a training conference, applying some best practices can go a long way towards creating a successful event. Here are some simple and effective ways that a conference organiser can maximise registrations and help ensure a successful event:
6-12 months ahead:
1. Set an annual registration goal and create a deliberate marketing plan to ensure your success.
2. If you don’t have an event website – build one! Web marketing is essential in today’s events industry. People have come to rely on the Internet so much that if they can’t find information about your event online, they may assume it’s no longer happening.
3. Include online registration information in any event press releases distributed to your local media.
In the 6 months leading up to the event:
4. Email marketing is key when organising an event. By ‘looking after’ those on your mailing list with fresh and interesting information, deals or reminders, you will ensure that your event is kept at the front of people’s minds. Useful emails can include:
o Announcing online registration and event information with direct links to both
o Sending an email reminder in the days before online registration closes or before prices increase, with a link to the online registration site
o Encouraging the recipient to forward email communications to a friend
5. Consider adding ‘optional extras’ to your online registration form like fundraising opportunities or the ability to purchase merchandise.
During the week of the event:
6. Extend online registration until just before the event date.
7. Open online registration for next year’s event as soon as this year’s event is over to get your next event off to a flying start.
Any comments? Email firstname.lastname@example.org