This year we are aiming to progress our sustainability objectives further at EIBTM by providing a series of tips and advice to support our exhibitors in adopting a sustainable approach to their participation at the show.
Kicking off this campaign, we have released the following top 10 tips that we hope will both inspire and encourage our exhibitors to engage with sustainability:
1. Recruit a Sustainability or Green Team to help implement sustainability measures
2. Use industry tools to measure the sustainability of your event such as www.eventsustainability.com
3. Provide information to your delegates electronically
4. Try to donate unwanted event extras to local social programmes
5. Advertise your sustainability policy well
6. Implementing event standards such as ISO 20121
7. Report on your sustainability actions using the GRI Event Organiser Sector Supplement
8. Educate yourself and your staff
9. Consider offering a ‘virtual’ gift bag to your attendees
10. Be proud about your achievements and shout about them
Exhibitors who employ even just a few of these tips will be taking a step in the right direction.
One of our main goals is to educate our stakeholders in ways that they can incorporate sustainable practices in their wider business objectives, as we believe that this is the future of the meetings and events industry.
This is where the Sustainable Events Corner comes in, an area of the show floor dedicated to providing education streams on sustainability. These include education and advice clinics, delivered by industry experts, focusing on providing information on sustainability and how it can be practically implemented into events, venues and the industry supply chain.
EIBTM also raises awareness of sustainability and encourages exhibitors to consider more sustainable actions through the 20 Sustainable Actions initiative.
A set of 20 easily achievable actions are set as a questionnaire online through the EIBTM website. Those exhibitors who answer positive to more than nine actions receive a certificate of participation and are automatically registered for the EIBTM Sustainability Stand Award which recognises the most effective sustainable exhibitor. The award is judged by an independent expert with the winner announced on the second day of the show and included in the Show Daily.
Exhibitors who would like to know more about becoming sustainable can visit www.eibtm.com/sustainablecorner to find out more and to be considered for the Sustainability Stand Award, apply online at www.eibtm.com/sustainableaward.
EIBTM 2013 will take place from 19 – 21 November, a week earlier than in previous years. The EIBTM Forum will take place the day before the exhibition on 18 November.
Any comments? Email email@example.com