The Meetings Industry Association (MIA) reported membership growth at its 23rd AGM this morning, 22 April, with a 13 per cent increase in the association’s AIM Accredited Members.
The MIA ended the financial year with 543 supplier and venue members either already accredited with AIM or in the process of achieving it.
A new board and council was voted in and the association also adopted a new strategy for the year ahead.
The MIA also reported general membership retention for the six months since the association’s year end at an average of 92 per cent (source: 2011-12 Membership Benchmarking Survey), a figure, the association says, represents an improvement over the same period in 2011/12.
Speaking after the AGM, held at Central Hall London, MIA Chairman, Gary Payne (pictured) said: “AIM is a powerful tool for meetings and events venues, so we have placed it at the forefront of our offering. By employing a two-pronged approach to promoting AIM, highlighting its considerable value to both buyers and venues, the MIA has made remarkable achievements in 2012, increasing membership and attracting an impressive percentage of new members.
“Our successes prove yet again that we are in touch with our members, and their industry, delivering exactly what they need for their businesses, exactly when they need it. Today, as I look forward to my second year as MIA Chairman, I can confidently say that with the progress of AIM and our other initiatives, we have set out a clear strategy that further strengthens the MIA’s ability to add value and create advantage for our members.”
The new full MIA Board and Council consists of:
- Gary Payne – Chairman
- Andrew Mosley – Vice-Chairman
- Alan Robinson – Co-opted Honorary Treasurer
- Nick Milne – Co-opted Honorary Secretary
- Jane Longhurst – Chief Executive
- Chris Morris – Elected Council Member
- Jackie Boughton – Co-opted Council Member
- Kay England – Elected Council Member
- Jacqui Kavanagh – Co-opted Council Member
- John Gallery – Elected Council Member
- Darren Johnson – Elected Council Member
- Gwyneth Gibbons – Elected Council Member
- Marc Webster – Elected Council Member
- Mark Chambers – Elected Council Member
- Peter Chubb – Elected Council Member
- Robin Purslow – Elected Council Member
- Simon Stringer – Elected Council Member
Do you have news for CN? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org